Tuesday, December 25, 2012

A Change for the Better

What is it that you really want to do? Where does your mind wander? What are you driven to do? Why isn’t that your vocation and why aren’t you doing it? I faced that very thing for most of my working life. I knew early on what I wanted, but I also knew that what I wanted wasn’t particularly lucrative. So, I compromised - or I thought. I found jobs that I could do that would allow me some freedom to do the things I wanted - even if it only meant being able to do those things on the weekend. All the while I longed to do something else. It was ever present in my mind. Yet, I felt trapped in job that allowed me to live somewhat comfortably. The stress of the last job took it’s toll, and even though I still had some freedom to pursue my interests, the misery of feeling obligated to hold on to a job with an employer I despised had begun to suck the joy from the very thing I wanted most. I Was In Trouble I was fighting the worst depression I can ever recall. I was on the verge of a complete physical and mental breakdown. My life was a complete mess, and my family was under enormous strain. Something had to change. I knew it couldn’t be some little change. Something big had to happen. In May of 2012, in an attempt to affect the needed change I walked away from my job. It wasn’t an easy thing to do; like many of you I needed the income, and I needed the benefits. I needed the stability. At least that’s what I thought. At first, like with many things, the job was great. I was given a responsibility and it was up to me to manage it my way. And, as the saying goes, “I had it made.” Let’s face it; I had good benefits, and the most money I’ve made in my life. Little did I realize that I was trading away my life and happiness for a lousy paycheck. At this point I could make a lot of excuses to justify walking away from a good job during a tough economy in an area where jobs are scarce. There’s no reason I could offer that couldn’t be shot down with simple common sense. How will I buy groceries? How will I pay the mortgage? Can I afford the car payment? Can I pay our utility bills? What if we get sick? The list goes on and on. Like I said... common sense. Yet, with all of those really good reasons to keep the job, I knew my family would be happier if I was happier. If that meant giving up the money and the benefits then that’s what had to happen. Truth is, living in a cardboard box under a bridge somewhere would be better than the grief that I was bringing home every day to the people I loved. I did have a plan of some sort. I love the banjo. I love playing it and I love teaching it. I’m neither a world class musician nor teacher, but it’s something I genuinely love. Just how many times have we heard, “Do something you love”? With that in my mind the plan was to book as many playing jobs as I could and to schedule as many students as I could. A short, but meaningful, conversation with my Dad proved to be quite helpful. He understood my situation, and knew I really wanted to be free of a job that was poisoning my life. He offered four words of encouragement. Four little words I’ve heard him say when it was time to get things done. “Do it to it.” I turned in my notice that afternoon. I’m Not Dead Yet Since leaving the job I’ve noticed three things. First, my relationship with my wife has improved. My relationship with my son is better. And finally, for the first time in over a decade, my outlook on life is positive. Yes, I struggle. I even worry. However, the things I struggle and worry about are outweighed by the short list of things I mentioned above. No, I don’t make much money, and I don’t have benefits, but I do have my family. I have peace of mind. I feel happy for the first time in many years. The Holidays Oh, this year Christmas morning will happen with very few presents under the tree. That’s okay. It’s so easy to say (and I’ve been guilty of saying it in the past), “Oh, it’s not about the gifts.” No, it’s not about the gifts -- until there’s not many gifts under the tree. I sure wish I could have bought more gifts for my friends. I certainly wish I could have bought more for my family. But really, it’s okay. Here’s why it’s okay. I’m convinced that my little family wouldn’t have lasted much longer had I held onto that job that was making me miserable -- despite the money it provided. Because I was miserable, I was unwittingly destroying the thing we’re all supposed to hold dear -- family. I thought I was doing the right thing, but I wasn’t. As difficult as it is to admit, I was tearing my family apart. What’s under the tree this year is probably the best gift I could have imagined. This year the gift is having a family. Some Words of Encouragement I’d like to encourage you to change your life, but I want you to answer these questions. What would you trade for a better relationship with your family? What would you give for a good night’s sleep? What would you sacrifice for peace of mind? What would you forfeit to just be happy? Those are the questions I asked myself. I also asked my family the same questions. I thought it was important that if I was going to make huge life altering changes they had best be in on it. I didn’t think that either my wife or son needed to make big changes. We all knew I was the problem, but whatever changes were made would effect them. We thought it over. I think we all knew something had to change. We all understood the risks. What if we make this big change and things don’t get better? That seemed like a fair question, but then we asked, “How could it get any worse?” No, it won’t be easy. But I have to ask, “Is your life easy now?” No, your change might not make things better. If you’re like I was, it probably can’t get much worse. During all of the pondering of my situation a New Grass Revival song kept coming to mind -- Sail to Australia. Here’s the verse that I couldn’t get off my mind.

Sometimes I wish things were better But most times I'd settle for different Just to know that the day that's waiting for me Ain't the same one that I just spent

That really summed it up for me at the time too. I knew, though, that finally casting off that horrible job and pursuing my dream would only be better for everyone that had to be around me. Better times are coming. My mind is finally starting to heal. I love my family. I know they love me. Are you happy? If not, let me encourage you to make a change. You can do it. Do you have peace of mind? No? Make a change. You can do it. Is your family close? No? Make a change now. Yes, you can. One more thing...
It’s better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way. - Alan Watts


10 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen, Jim. Congratulations and THANK YOU...

Lajjas said...

Hi,

I know this is many years passed but the message is as relevant now as then. Many times that same though appears in my head and it won't go away without some change happening. Perhaps this day is mine?

Thanks for sharing your story and i hope you are happy. I follow your youtubechannel to learn to play the Banjo and you are great at teaching. Keep it up!

Unknown said...

Jim, isn't it interesting that I chose to read your blog today, December 25, 2019? Even though it's been 7 years since you posted this, I still find it poignant. I find that my life mirrors your own, at least to a point. I have battled depression for most of my life. As you know, depression looks like a lot of different things; procrastination, inability to focus, inability to enter friendships, inability to keep employment and much more. I'm a little older than you. I'll turn 63 in January 2020. One of my dreams has been to get good enough to play in a band. Sadly for me, I'm talentless so my dream will probably never materialize. My wife and I have become foster parents for our own brand children and we also have an autistic grandson whom we love greatly.I am fortunately employed but it is not fulfilling in the least.I still have my dream and as long as one has a dream, they have something to shoot for. I want to Thank you for all of the material that you so willingly share. Oh, and congratulations for being brave enough to take that step. you decision to make such a life changing direction is also inspiring. Thank you again.

Unknown said...

Jim, I found you a couple of months ago while trying to learn the Banjo. I love your teaching style and am working on the third of your 7 lessons on learning bluegrass back up. Your words of encouragement during your lessons are invaluable to me. I will turn 65 years old this year and I find that catching on to things come slower than they use too!

Today, I read your story. You never know what a person is going through and you hide it well during your teachings. I will be keeping you and your family in my prayers AND I am going to become one of your Patreon members. Keep on keeping on. I am learning a lot from you!!!

God bless,

Danny Heath, Forest Virginia

Tango Juliet said...

I know this is an old blog post, but it resonates with me. In 1998 I lost my 9 year military career - which also led to losing my wife and kids - to Major Depressive Disorder. I found myself as a civilian with no extended education or marketable skills. I struggled for quite a while with jobs that although I mostly enjoyed them, I wasn't getting anywhere financially. Then a new job led to a new position that in turn led to making pretty good money for a change. Life was good, if not great. Then, this year, oil prices plummeted and Covid-19 had an effect. My position was eliminated and I was furloughed. I've been without work now for 6 weeks, and no unemployment because of a severance package. I'm doing my best to keep my chin up and stay positive.
I first came across your Banjo instruction videos a couple of years ago and kept meaning to get myself a banjo and start learning how to play. But, I did not. I never bought one. Now I've made my mind, and as soon as I'm earning an income again, I'm buying a Goodtime II and I'm going to start learning to play! It just has to happen.

Gearoid Mac Carthaigh said...

Hi Jim . I bought a guitar when I was 15 and taught myself how to play it , I used to play in bars and clubs for a few pounds ( I still have that guitar yet) .. I joined a band and played guitar , flute, penny whistle and bohdran ...and a wee bit accordion . My illness in my mid 40,s hit me hard , I was on a nebuliser and was struggling for a breath. I put my life in gods hands and asked him to take me home ...my depression at that time was really bad ....and like you , I was in a very dark place... I have my family to thank for dragging me out of at dark place (and God of course). I was playing in a local pub one night( I was still a teenager and made a few pounds playing guitar ) ..A long story but I bought myself a banjo I had nobody to teach me how to play it but I persevered and got the one book out the library that just told me the basic history of the banjo . I listened to tapes and records of banjo music ...but I must admit I learned very little about the banjo . ...Alas , I just had nobody to show me what to do ...so I sold it ( I knew there and then that it broke my heart ) ...I missed it more than I would like to say even though I could not play it . It was named a " Gremlin" ( not sure if you have heard that name Jim) and I was looking at e-bay a month ago and tgere was my Gremlin ....still shining and in the same beautiful case ....I spoke to the fella selling it and he was buying a new banjo called Deering Seirra, but he said he had bought the banjo many years ago ...I,m retired now and I told my wife about the banjo ...she told me what I wanted to hear ....put a bid in for it. I got it for £180 plus £25 delivery from England to Scotland . I was over the moon , it looked just like my old Gremlin ....and maybe it was infact my old Gremlin. The fella posted it out and hoped I would enjoy learning it ....I tracked its delivery by a firm called Hermes....the fella said he wrapped the banjo well with bubble wrap , put it in the harc case , wrapped that in bubble wrap and the put in in a cardboard box and sealed it all up,with sealing tape . The day before it was to arrive , I got a post from Hermes ( the delivery people) ...they said the package could not be forwarded ( that was after me tracking it for a week) as it was to dangerous to send to me , the post from Hermes told me to get in touch with the seller . I had been chatting to the fella online and I told him I was feeling like a kid the night before Christmas...He replied saying he had heard nothing from Hermes but would get in touch with me as soon as he heard anything . Two days later , the fella sent me a copy of the letter he got online from Hermes...it said the package had been so badly damaged that it was to dangerous to send it on to me or send it back to him . Something just did not sound right Jim. I will give the fella his due, he returned my money ( with PayPal right away) ...he claimed it against the insurance he paid for the postage . ...Alas, they got in touch with him a few days later and said that musical instruments were not covered by their insurance ( even though they took his money) ...I bought another from a shop this time ( a Westen Rocket ) it does not say where it was made but I have noticed that many musical instruments are made in China these days ... it arrived safely by " royal mail" ...I read online a week later that 30,000 Hermes parcels have went missing due to a " computer fault" ...so possibly the Gremlin banjo is still alive and kicking rather than ruined by delivery men .
I,m following your lesson Jim , and I,m doing ok , your lessons are bang on for a beginner like me , I was lucky to come across your site on you tube .
Thanks Jim .....and I,m so glad you are doing the job you love ....I got through my depression with my families help . I was close to the edge a couple of times Jim .
May I say ...you look so happy doing what you love ...God bless you Jim ....

From one of your many struggling learners who is very grateful for your lessons....Gerry Carty ...in the hills of Scotland

Gearoid Mac Carthaigh said...

Hi Jim.....your words are very encouraging ( as is your banjo lessons ) . .I worked in heavy engineering , I played guitar flute , pennywhistle and bohdran . I always wanted to learn 5 string banjo and I bought one 45 years ago ( a Gremlin) I got it really cheap but I soon realised why it was so cheap ...there were nobody in this area played banjo , never mind teach it . Anyway I sold it when I wac offered five times what I paid for it . I lost my hearing in my right ear ( my hearing was eplaced by tinnitus ...jet engine 24/ 7 . The specialists told me I was lucky it was not both ears as they both took a pounding by heavy presses and music. Over 20 years ago I was told that there was no help for me , I even had to take prescription drugs to get a sleep. I was really struggling with depression and then ither health problems. Over the years my hearing has got worse in my left ear , so I gave up playing acoustic guitar as I could not even hear the string properly . I now have only 40 % hearing g in my left ear ,,,...but thats 40 % more than my right ear . I can now look at things in different ways , I have never picked up my guitar again (same guitar I have had for 50 years now . Thanks to various devices I can hear higher sounds better in my left ear ...and I listened to a bit music with bluegrass banjo in the band ....and I heard the banjo clearer than the other instruments . Which led me to but a cheap 5 string banjo . I have had it ten weeks now and I spend most of my time learning to play ( I,m retired now) ...my wife and family have never saw me so happy lately ...I cannot thank you enough for your lessons on you tube ( which I have followed religiously ) .. I,m on lesson 9 and imm learning to try and put rolls to otger tunes ....I know it will be years before I can play it correctly ....( if the lied spares me ) . I cannot thank you enough Jim , I can honestly say , when I waken up in the morning I now don,t think " oh another day struggling on this earth ( I used to love the sounds if the birds singing in the mornings when I awake) of course I cannot hear a thing these days ( bar my jet engine tinnitus in my right ear ) . I cannot thank you enough Jim , you are a natural teacher and I look forward and hang on to every word you say ....i am now happier than i have been in years ...and i put that down to your lessons on the banjo . I,m glad things turned out ok for you Jim ....its a hard thing to just resign from a good paying job . I got made redundant and engineering fell away in the 80,s over here in Scotland .
I,m sure that many are glad of your sharing your knowledge of the banjo .
Thanks again Jim ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ Slan go fhoille a chara ( good bye for now my friend ) ...
Gerry carty ( seanchai1916@yahoo.co.uk ) .

Unknown said...


Been there Jim. Congratulations, you made the right decision.

Thanks for getting my wife and I interested in the banjo! We each are now the proud owners of brand new Deering banjos that we can play thanks to you! Our sincere thanks, Ken and Brenda

Johnnie VA. USA said...

Hum, after reading your message, I'm moved at the similarities with my own. I quit, age 52, early retirement from a job I hated. I tried a few others afterward and hated them as well and walked away as soon as I recognized the problem. I wanted what they offered, bennies and the like but I was unwilling to sacrifice my mind and soul for them. I'm happily retired on a very slim income and I don't need all the things I thought I needed.

Becky Barrow said...

I loved this! Thanks for sharing your personal experience. I was shocked that there were no comments on this post until I discovered all the hoops they make you jump through! ๐Ÿ˜ฉ But not one to be deterred, I soldiered on. I love your playing and your down-to-earth teaching style! Bending down to talk to the camera may be considered “low-tech” by some, but it’s so perfectly clever! I’m happy that you have succeeded in doing what you love and in making a happier family life. Kudos! ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘