Originally posted February 19, 2006 — updated August 2026
I started playing banjo in 1977. I'm self-taught, mostly the old-fashioned way — listening and learning. I ruined more than a few records by dancing the needle across them, trying to hit that one particular spot again and again until I could figure out what I was hearing.
I soon found myself playing in the FFA String Band in high school. We played all over Georgia and even had the honor of playing at the FFA National Convention in Kansas City.
Over the years I've done assorted session work and played and recorded with a number of bands and musicians. While living in Athens, Georgia, in the late '80s, I even played banjo for the soundtrack of a FedEx commercial. I later played and recorded with Shady Hollow and Country Comfort, among others.
From almost the beginning, though, I've loved teaching people to play the banjo. At one point I had as many as 50 students a week. My writing about banjo eventually found its way into Banjo Newsletter, where my column, “The Workshop,” became a regular feature. I've also had the opportunity to teach at places including the Maryland Banjo Academy, Banjo Newsletter workshops, Steve Kaufman's Acoustic Kamp, and the John C. Campbell Folk School.
While in college in the early '80s, I took up clawhammer banjo. I started with a book I got from Grandpa Jones, learned the basics, and then spent hours trying to figure out “Soldier's Joy” from the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's Will the Circle Be Unbroken. Years later, I think I finally began to understand what I was doing. Somewhere along the way that work paid off: I won the Old-Time Banjo division at the Georgia State Championship in 1999 and the Tennessee Bluegrass Banjo Championship in 2005.
For several years I played banjo with the Hamilton County Ramblers, a Chattanooga-based bluegrass band with James Kee, Roy Curry, John Boulware, and Josh Hixson. We released our self-titled album in 2015, and I'm still mighty proud of the music we made together.
Then something happened that I certainly didn't anticipate when I originally wrote this bio.
In March 2006, just a few weeks after this page first appeared, I started putting videos on a fairly new website called YouTube.
There wasn't much of a plan. I was simply doing what I'd always done — showing people how to play the banjo.
Twenty years later, those little videos have grown into a community of more than 150,000 YouTube subscribers and more than 19 million views. People all over the world have learned their first banjo rolls, tunes, licks, chords, and probably a few bad jokes from me. Somewhere along the way people started calling me the “Bob Ross of Banjo,” which still makes me smile.
The technology changed, but I don't think my approach to teaching ever really did. I still want it to feel like we're sitting across from one another with a couple of banjos and I'm saying, “Here — try this.”
I've continued teaching at workshops and camps, making music, and trying to help people discover that playing the banjo doesn't have to be harder than it needs to be. In August 2026, that work even took me across the Atlantic to Liverpool, England, where I spent a weekend teaching banjo workshops.
And in 2026 I was named a nominee for the International Bluegrass Music Association's Momentum Award for Mentor of the Year.
That's a strange and wonderful thing to type.
When I wrote the first version of this bio twenty years ago, I was a banjo player and teacher who had been fortunate enough to do some pretty interesting things with music.
I still am.
The circle has just gotten a good bit bigger.
1 comment:
hey jimbo.. are you still living? if you are... and you do like wild banjo music... truely like it... check this.. play the jukebox.. no tricks just free wild banjo... www.onebandmanjo.com
Post a Comment