Sunday, February 19, 2006

Yo-Yo Bio

I got my first yo-yo sometime in the late 60's. It was a slimline Russell Championship Model that was used in a McDonald's Restaurant promotion. I really don't recall much about the promotion, but I remember a demonstrator and getting a yo-yo. I was young and not in the habit of getting names and details.

From that point I always remember having a yo-yo of some sort. If I ever misplaced or found myself without one I would make my way to the store and buy something - usually a Duncan of some sort (Imperial, Professional or Butterfly). Limited to what I could find in the local department stores I was basically bound to the "back of the card" tricks found with most yo-yos of the time.

Let's fast forward to 1996. I was shopping with my wife and some friends when I found a shop that had these "new" yo-yos. Some that they had would even return to your hand automatically - Yomega Brains and Fireballs. I bought a SaberWing Fireball and found myself re-addicted to this marvelous toy. Since then my collection of yo-yos has grown from a half dozen to several hundred.

In 1998 I received a Playmaxx Turbo Bumble Bee as a gift. This was my first ball bearing yo-yo. It was also about that time I found the "online" yo-yo community. Through this medium I've met many people involved in yo-yoing and I now find myself more involved than I ever imagined.

I've helped plan and promote the Georgia State Yo-Yo Championships. I've also helped with the Southeast Regional and Worlds Yo-Yo Contest.

From 2002 - 2006 I was on the American Yo-Yo Association Board of Directors.

No comments: