Saturday, December 09, 2006

Winter Wonderslam

Tina (my lovely wife) heard an advertisement on the radio regarding a concert that was going to feature the band Family Force 5, a rock group from the Atlanta area. Mind you, I'm not exactly what you'd call a rock and roll concert goer. I've been to less than a handful of concerts in my life, but this was different.

It was different in the respect that I knew of the drummer, Jacob Olds. He's the boyfriend of Bethany Dick. Some of you may remember that Bethany played with the Lone Mountain Band for about a year as a regular guest.

A few months ago I heard about a Family Force 5 video that Bethany was in, so I went looking for it. You can watch it on their MySpace site. I recommend it, but even more, my son Samuel recommends it!

Now, back to the concert...

I realize most concerts are not the place you'd consider taking a 6 year old for an outing, and though I thought it would be a lot of fun, I really needed to get an idea of what I should expect, so I got in contact with Bethany, realizing she'd be my best source of information regarding what we might hear or see at the concert.

She indicated that Family Force 5 shows were fun with a lot of dancing, and no bad language or content. She warned that the show would also be loud. This was good news. I was still concerned about the other groups, but she explained that the other groups were Christian and played what I figure would be best categorized as Christian rock. It was Toby Mac's Winter Wonderslam Tour. I figure at this point that Samuel and I would go to the concert. Ticket prices were well within my budget, and we wouldn't have to drive too far, so I figured this would be a great "father-son" outing and a great first-time rock concert experience for Samuel.

Samuel had the bright idea to take earplugs, and we're glad we did. It was loud, but honestly, we had a blast. The other groups (Hawk Nelson, Ayiesha Woods, The Afters and Toby Mac) were great and Family Force 5 was awesome!

We hung around after the concert and met Jacob (Crouton) and talked with him a minute or so, got autographs and the picture of him and Samuel. I felt as if I should know him after spending so much time with Bethany, and knowing what a great person she is. He was as nice as I had expected and hoped for.


Oh, I almost forgot. Here are some pictures of the Family Force 5 show!

Family Force 5


-=Jim

No comments: